Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hot Date at Whole Foods: What's in My Bag?

Last night, my boyfriend and I were a bit bored. What's a girl to do? Go to her favourite grocery store of course! Isn't Whole Foods basically the definition of Hot Date?

Anytime I'm feeling in a bit of a rut with my eating, I love hitting up Whole Foods, a Farmers' Market or an independent Organic Grocery Store (Shout out to my favourite Peanut Mill!).  Seeing the new, sometime weird foods that are offered at these places is a great place for inspiration.

So! What's in my Bag?


Isn't this the cutest bag ever!? Every time I head over to Whole Foods, I always buy one of their reusable bags. They are always prettily designed. This one is the small version - but next time I will def. be picking up the large size of this There's a fricking cat with a chef's hat on the side!


Not Pictured:

Organic Kale! If you are on the TIU Diet Plan, that you know the obvious benefits of Kale. It is a serious contender in one of the healthiest foods.  I am always willing to spend a few extra dollars for some organic produce. Leafy greens in particular.  Some of my favourite ways to enjoy Kale are baked (as Kale Chips), massaged kale salad (breaks it down a bit, to make the leaves a bit softer), and steamed/sauteed.

Currently, one of my favourite super food dishes is: 1/4 cup onions, chopped, 2 cups kale chopped, 1/2 cup Black beans, 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast. Instructions: sautee onions for 3-5 mins, then add in kale. Continue cooking for 2 mins before adding in beans and sprinkling with NOOCH. Heat through and serve it up! So yummy!




Greek Yogurt:

 I think there is enough said about Greek Yogurt already. It's deceptively thick - making you think you were eating something full of fat - but using 0% skim milk, this plain greek yogurt boasts 0g of fat and a whopping 20 g of protein per serving! Amazing! Keep in mind that while fat is an important component in any diet - it is important to know where your fat sources are coming from. Usually animal-product fat sources are saturated fats (with the exception of fish). Also, try and stick to just plain yogurt. Those flavoured ones (even vanilla!) are full of extra sugar. One of my favourite ways enjoying plain greek yogurt is to add lots of cinnamon and a little bit of agave. Strangely enough it tastes like my grandmother's rice pudding.



 In the bag there was: fresh ground almond butter --> one of my favourite things to do ever at WF is to use their nut butter machines! So much fun! Also, priced per 100g it is cheaper than any regularly priced jar varieties they have.

Eden Organics Black Beans - the only black beans I can eat are Eden's Organics. Well worth the extra $. I think it is because they don't add salt, but instead a seaweed. How cool is that?

Vegan, Organic Veggie Boullion Cubes - It is really important that you read labels! I was shocked to see in one of the brands of veggie boullion powder there was hydrogenated oils, HFCS, and frozen, powdered egg whites (eeww!). When you buy organic veggie boullion, you're getting just that - veggies!

Mighty Maple Peanut Butter - this was certainly a treat. It was on sale, and contained no refined sugars, no trans fats, and was Maple! I think it's because I'm Canadian, I'm a sucker for anything maple!  My bf picked up their white chocolate dream --> swoon

Grocery shopping can seem like a chore often, but when you pick up ingredients that excite you to cook better for yourself and loved ones, it can actually turn out to be quite fun. Don't forget - it's ok to indulge in treats, just make them unique and nutritious!





No comments:

Post a Comment